Installing from source
To install UnrealIRCd on Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OS X and other *NIX systems you generally compile and install from source. In addition to that you will also need to configure UnrealIRCd. This page explains how to do all that. Even if you are completely new to UnrealIRCd then all these steps to get the IRCd up and running shouldn't take more than 30 minutes in total.
Don't run as root
Be sure to build and run the IRCd as a regular user and not as root. If you are on a VPS / root shell then create a user 'unrealircd' or similar (sudo adduser unrealircd) and do all steps below as that user (login as user 'unrealircd'). See also Do not run as root.
Grab the source (.tar.gz)
From the shell
Connect to the *NIX server via SSH. All the following commands execute on the *NIX server.
wget --no-check-certificate --trust-server-names https://www.unrealircd.org/downloads/unrealircd-latest.tar.gz
On FreeBSD you may have to use:
If neither works, for example you get an 'unknown command' then you should install the 'wget' package on your system or try uploading (see next).
Alternative: uploading to shell
You can also choose to download the .tar.gz of UnrealIRCd via your browser, save it to disk, and then upload it to the shell via SCP or SFTP.
Extract the source
Extract the .tar.gz and enter the unrealircd-x.y.z directory:
tar xzvf unrealircd-4.0.X.tar.gz cd unrealircd-4.0.X
NOTE: There's some logic here. If the file is called, say, unrealircd-4.0.0.tar.gz then it will extract to the unrealircd-4.0.0/ directory. As you can see, the directory name is different for each release to make sure you don't accidentally overwrite your existing installation.
First, run the ./Config script which will ask a number of questions. You can just press Enter to accept the default answers.
Now, compile UnrealIRCd by running make, this may take a minute (or two):
Finally, run make install (important!):
Creating a configuration file
- Change to the installed UnrealIRCd directory, this is /home/yourusername/unrealircd by default (For more information on the directory structure see UnrealIRCd files and directories).
- Copy conf/example/example.conf to your conf/ directory and rename it to unrealircd.conf
syzop@vulnscan:~/unrealircd$ cp conf/examples/example.conf conf/unrealircd.conf
- Open the file with an editor (eg: nano conf/unrealircd.conf)
- Read the Configuration file syntax article. It will only take a few minutes and will save you a lot of trouble in next step(s)!
- Walk through the unrealircd.conf block by block / line by line and edit the settings to suit your needs. This takes 10 - 20 minutes.
- Boot UnrealIRCd by running ./unrealircd start from your ~/unrealircd directory.
- Errors? Edit your unrealircd.conf, fix them (see the FAQ for common problems), and try starting UnrealIRCd again.
- Up and running? Connect with an IRC client to your server and have fun. See next section too.
- See Features for various available features on UnrealIRCd and Configuration for all possible things you can configure on UnrealIRCd.
- Again, see the FAQ if you have any problems. A lot of common problems are answered there.
- Add a Cron job to make sure UnrealIRCd (re)starts after system startup or a crash