Installing UnrealIRCd on Windows is easy. After installation you will have to configure UnrealIRCd (and learn how to do so). Even if you are completely new to UnrealIRCd then all these steps to get the IRCd up and running shouldn't take more than 30 minutes in total.
Download and install
Surf to https://www.unrealircd.org/ and click Downloads. Pick your branch, download the installer and run it.
The defaults are normally fine. UnrealIRCd will install to C:\Program Files (x86)\UnrealIRCd 4 by default
Creating a configuration file
- Your UnrealIRCd 4 directory contains a number of folders. The conf folder is where your configuration file will go into, navigate into that folder now. The conf folder contains a subdirectory called examples which contains example.conf. Copy this file to your conf directory and rename it to unrealircd.conf.
- Open the conf\unrealircd.conf file with an editor such as notepad. Even better, use an editor which shows line numbers, like Notepad++.
- Read the Configuration file syntax article. It will only take a few minutes and will save you a lot of trouble in next step(s)!
- Walk through the unrealircd.conf block by block / line by line and edit the settings to suit your needs. This takes 10 - 20 minutes.
- Boot UnrealIRCd. Go to Start -> All Programs -> UnrealIRCd -> UnrealIRCd
- Errors? Edit your unrealircd.conf, fix them (see the FAQ for common problems), and try starting UnrealIRCd again.
- Up and running? Connect with an IRC client to your server and have fun. See next section too.
- See Features for various available features on UnrealIRCd and Configuration for all possible things you can configure on UnrealIRCd.
- Again, see the FAQ if you have any problems. A lot of common problems are answered there.
Compiling from source
If you want to compile from source then see the Compiling UnrealIRCd on Windows page. Note that this is for advanced users and is not part of a normal installation.